Moving with Pets
Did you know that 61% of Australia’s pet population consists of dogs and 40% consists of cats? Our pets are incredible beings that enhance our daily lives by providing companionship, security, and a sense of purpose. However, it is not easy to move homes with pets because of the anxiety and worry that any major change may cause them and their health.
In particular, if you’re bringing your cats and dogs from another state, you may want to entrust a suitable carrier company that will provide your pet plenty of room to roam around and breathe during the journey to their new home.
Here are the things you NEED to do when moving with your beloved pets:
- Research the new location’s pet regulations and ensure your pet is up-to-date on all required vaccinations and documentation.
- Update your pet’s identification tags and microchip information with your new address and contact information.
- Plan your travel arrangements, and make sure your pet is safely secured during transportation.
- Pack your pet’s essentials, such as food, water, toys, and bedding, in a separate bag or container for easy access during the move.
- Introduce your pet to the new home gradually to help them adjust and establish a routine as soon as possible.
On the other hand, these are the things you should NOT do when moving with your pets:
- Don’t leave your pet unattended or in a hot car during the move.
- Remember to research pet-friendly accommodations and amenities in your new location.
- Only let your pet roam freely in unfamiliar areas or around other animals with supervision.
- Pack or prepare for your pet’s move before the last minute.
- Remember to give your pet plenty of love and attention during stressful moving.
Relocating with pets is challenging, but it is possible with careful preparation, attention to detail, and an understanding of the dos and don’ts involved. Make an appointment with your veterinarian ahead of time to ensure your pet is in good condition and collect the necessary travel documentation. Consider hiring professional movers that have experience with moving pets. They can ease the burden of relocating with pets by doing all the required paperwork on your behalf.